WARWICK GIRLS LACROSSE, INC.
CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS
Warwick Girls Lacrosse
Article I - Name
This organization is incorporated as Warwick Girls Lacrosse, Inc., herein referred to as "WGL".
Article II - Objective
The objective of WGL shall be to implant firmly in the children of the community the ideals of good sportsmanship, honesty, loyalty, courage and respect for authority, so that they may be well adjusted, stronger and happier children and will grow to be good, decent, healthy and trustworthy citizens.
Key operating principles of WGL are:
The safety and welfare of the players are of primary importance.
Sportsmanship and teaching the concepts of fair play are essential to the game and must be taught at all levels and developed on the field during practices and games.
The value of good sportsmanship, the concepts of fair play, and the skills of the game should always be placed above winning.
Coaches must always be aware of the tremendous influence they have on their players. They are to strive to be positive role models in dealing with young people, as well as adults.
Coaches should always demonstrate positive behaviors and reinforce them to players, parents, officials and spectators alike. Players should be specifically encouraged and positively reinforced by coaches to demonstrate respect for teammates, opponents, officials and spectators.
Players should always demonstrate positive behavior and respect toward teammates, opponents, coaches, officials, parents and spectators.
Coaches, players, parents and spectators are expected to demonstrate the utmost respect for officials and reinforce that respect to players/teammates. Coaches are also expected to educate their players as to the important role of lacrosse officials and reinforce the ideal of respect for the official to players/teammates.
Grievances or misunderstandings between coaches, officials or any other parties involved with the sport should be communicated through the proper channels and procedures, never on or about the field of play in view of spectators or participants.
Spectators involved with the game must never permit anyone to openly or maliciously criticize, badger, harass or threaten an official, coach, player or opponent.
Coaches must be able to demonstrate a solid knowledge of the rules of lacrosse, and should adhere to the rules in both the letter and the spirit of the game.
Coaches should provide a basic knowledge of the rules to both players and spectators within his/her program. Attempts to manipulate rules in an effort to take unfair advantage of an opponent, or to teach deliberate unsportsmanlike conduct, is considered unacceptable conduct.
To achieve this objective WGL will provide a supervised program under the Rules and Regulations of US Lacrosse, Hudson Valley Chapter and Mid-Hudson Lacrosse Local chapter. All Directors and Members shall bear in mind that the winning of games is secondary, and the molding of future citizens is of prime importance.
In accordance with section 501 (c)(3) of the Federal Internal Revenue Code, WGL shall operate exclusively as a non-profit educational organization providing a supervised program of competitive lacrosse games. No part of the net earnings shall inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual: no substantial part of the activities of which is carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence candidate for public office.
Article III - Membership
Eligibility. Any person sincerely interested in active participation to affect the objective of WGL may apply to become a member.
Classes. There shall be the following classes of members:
- Player Members. Any player candidate meeting the requirements of US Lacrosse and who resides within the authorized boundaries of WGL shall be eligible to compete for participation but shall have no rights, duties or obligations in the management or in the property of WGL.
- Regular Members Any person actively interested in furthering the objectives of WGL may become a Regular Member ("Member"), so long as the individual is 18 years or older and has a child participating in the league during the calendar year. Any coach actively involved in the league during the calendar year and 18 years or older may become a Member. Only Members are eligible to vote at the annual meeting.
All Board members, Committee members, Head Coaches or Coaches and other elected or appointed officials must be active Members in good standing to be eligible for any such position.
- Honorary Members. Any person may be elected as Honorary Member by the unanimous vote of all Directors present at any duly held meeting of the Board but shall have no right, duties or obligations in the management or in the property of WGL, but may be eligible to vote at the annual meeting.
- As defined in Article III, Section 2, paragraph 2 and as used hereinafter, the word “Member” shall mean a Regular Member unless otherwise stated.
Article IV - Calendar and Fees
The membership period for WGL will coincide with WGL’s fiscal year which will begin on October 1st of each year and end on September 30th of each year.
A reasonable youth lacrosse participation fee may be assessed as a parents’ obligation to assure the operational continuity of WGL.
Article V - Meetings
Annual Meeting. The annual meeting of the Members of WGL shall be held the third Tuesday in September at 8:00PM each year for the purpose of electing a Board of Directors ("Board" or "Directors") and for the transaction of such business as may properly come before the meeting. After the Board is elected, the newly elected Board shall meet to select the specific officer positions of each new Board member.
Monthly Meeting. Monthly meeting of the Members shall be the third Tuesday of each month. A representative of each team must attend each monthly meeting during the season.
Board Meetings. The Board may meet, at their discretion, to discuss matters pertaining to WGL.
Special Meetings. Special meetings of the Members may be called by the Secretary or President at their discretion. Upon the written request of five (5) members of the Board, the President shall call a special meeting to consider a specific subject. No business other than that specified in the notice of the meeting shall be transacted at any special meeting of the Members.
Quorum. The presence in person or representation by absentee ballot of a number of Directors greater than Fifty (50%) percent shall be necessary to constitute a quorum.
Voting. Only Members shall be entitled to vote at any Annual or Special meeting of WGL.
Absentee Ballot. For the expressed purpose of accommodating a Member in good standing who cannot be in attendance at the annual meeting, an absentee ballot may be requested and obtained from the Secretary of WGL. The absentee ballot shall be properly completed, signed and returned to the Secretary, either by hand or through email or fax, prior to the date of the annual meeting and the election of members to the Board. The secretary shall present all absentee ballots to the Election Chairman on the date of the annual meeting prior to the conduct of the election process.
Rules of Order. Governance of all Annual and Monthly Meetings shall be guided by the following process:
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Reading of Prior Meeting Minutes
- Transaction of Business
- Individual Director Reports
- Old Business
- New Business
- Open Forum
- Meeting Closure
The President shall preside over all such meetings. All motions made by a Director must be seconded by another Director.
Article VI - Board of Directors
Board and Number. The management of the property and affairs of WGL shall be vested in the Board of Directors ("Board" or "Directors"). The number of Directors shall be Nine (9). The Directors shall upon election immediately enter upon the performance of their duties and shall continue in office until their successors shall have been duly elected and qualified. All Directors will submit to an annual background check.
Required Members. The Board will consist of the positions of 1.)President, 2.)Vice President, 3.)Secretary, 4.)Treasurer, 5.)Player Agent, 6.)Equipment / Uniforms, 7.)Fields and 8.)Fundraising.
Annual Election and Term of Office. All elections of the Board shall be by majority vote of all Members present or represented by a properly executed and signed absentee ballot filed with the secretary prior to the election meeting.
The Board positions of President and Treasurer will be elected by the Members, candidates will run for those specific positions. After the President and Treasurer are elected, the Members will vote for the remaining open Board positions. Once all open Board positions have been elected, the newly elected Board will appoint the newly elected members to specific open positions on the Board. Term of office shall be for two (2) years with year of election staggered to provide for election of approximately one-half (1/2) of the Board each year.
Vacancies. If any vacancy occurs in the Board, by death, resignation or otherwise, it may be filled by a majority vote of the remaining Board at any regular meeting or at any special meeting called for that purpose.
Meetings, Notice and Quorum. Regular meetings of the Board shall be held immediately following the annual election and on such days thereafter as shall be determined by the Board. The President or the Secretary may, whenever they deem it advisable or the Secretary shall at the request in writing of five (5) directors issue a call for a special meeting of the Board. Notice of each special meeting shall be given by the Secretary to each Director by email or text or personal notice twenty-four (24) hours preceding the meeting.
Such notice shall include the purpose of the meeting and all matters that may be acted upon at the meeting.
Greater than fifty percent (50%) of the Board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
Duties and Powers. The Board shall have the power to appoint such standing committees as it shall determine appropriate and to delegate such powers to them as the Board shall deem advisable and which it may properly delegate.
The Board may adopt such rules and regulations for the conduct of its meetings and the management of WGL, as it may deem proper.
The Board shall have the power by a two-thirds vote of those Board members present at any regular or special meeting to discipline, suspend or remove any Director, Committee Member, Head Coach, Coach, player or Parent / Guardian of WGL in accordance with the procedure set forth in Article X, Section 1.
The membership shall receive at the first meeting of the members of WGL each fiscal year a report verified by the President and Treasurer, or by a majority of the Directors, showing the preceding year’s financial activity. A separate report will be prepared by the Equipment / Uniform Director showing the whole amount of real and personal property owned by WGL, where located, and where and how invested, the amount and nature of the property acquired during the year immediately preceding the date of the report, which report shall be entered in the minutes of the proceedings of the annual meeting.
President. The President will:
- Conduct the affairs of WGL and execute the policies established by the Board.
- Present a report of the condition of WGL at the annual meeting.
- Communicate to the Board, such matters as deemed appropriate, and make such suggestions as may tend to promote the welfare of WGL.
- Be responsible for the conduct of WGL in strict conformity to the Policies, Principles, Rules and Regulations of US Lacrosse, as agreed to and amended under the conditions of the Hudson Valley Lacrosse chapter.
- Be responsible for the conduct of WGL in strict conformity to the By-Laws of WGL.
- Designate in writing, other Directors if necessary, to have the power to make and execute for/and in the name of WGL such contracts and leases they may receive and which have had prior approval of the Board.
- Investigate complaints, irregularities and conditions detrimental to WGL and report thereon to the Board, during executive committee, as circumstances warrant.
- With the assistance of the Treasurer, prepare and submit an annual budget to the Board and be responsible for the proper execution thereof.
- With the assistance of the Player Agent, examine the application and support proof-of age documents of every player candidate before the player may be accepted.
Vice President. The Vice President will:
- In case of the absence or disability of the President, and provided he is authorized by the President or Board so to act, the Vice President shall perform the duties of the President, and when so acting, shall have all the powers of the office, and shall have such other duties as from time to time may be assigned by the Board or by the President.
- Conduct annual background checks of all Directors and candidates for Coaches, the results of which will be disclosed to the President.
- Attend all MHYLL meetings and report to the Board a summary of matters discussed at such meetings.
- Ensure compliance to the WGL By-Laws and that the By-Laws are enforced with no bias.
- Ensure WGL is operated in compliance within all US Lacrosse, Hudson Valley Lacrosse and Mid Hudson Lacrosse rules and regulations.
Secretary. The Secretary will:
- Be responsible for recording the activities of WGL and maintain appropriate files, mailing lists and necessary records.
- Perform such duties as are herein specifically set forth, in addition to such other duties as are customarily incident to the office of Secretary or as may be assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Maintain a list of all Regular and Honorary Members, Director and Committee Members and give notice of all meetings of WGL, the Board of Directors and Committees.
- Keep the minutes of the meeting of the members, the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee and cause them to be recorded in a book kept for that purpose.
- Shall conduct all correspondence not otherwise specifically delegated in connection with said meetings and shall be responsible for carrying out all orders, votes and resolutions not otherwise committed.
- Notify Members, Directors, Officers and Committee members of their election or appointment.
- Member of the Communications committee.
Treasurer. The Treasurer will:
- Perform such duties as are herein specifically set forth and such other duties as are customarily incident to the office of Treasurer or may be assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Receive all monies and securities, and deposit same in a depository approved by the Board of Directors.
- Keep records for the receipts and disbursements of all monies and securities of WGL, including the auxiliary, approve all payments from allocated funds and draw checks therefore in agreement with policies established in advance of such actions by the Board of Directors. All disbursements in excess of One Thousand ($1,000) Dollars must have the written approval of the President.
- Prepare and distribute a report at each regular meeting of the Board of Directors which presents for the month(s) immediately preceding the meeting the financial activity including individually listed receipts and disbursements, as well as a reconciliation of all such activity to the bank statements, the submittal of such bank statements will be included in the monthly report.
- Prepare an annual budget, under the direction of the President, for submission to the Board of Directors at the second meeting of the calendar year.
- Prepare an annual financial report, under the direction of the President, for submission to the membership and Board of Directors at the annual meeting.
Player Agent. The Player Agent will:
- Receive and review applications for player candidates and assist the President in checking residence and age eligibility.
- Conduct the player draft and all other player transactions or selected meetings. Present to the Board specific rules related to any such player draft.
- Receive all complaints from parents/guardians related to coaching activities, playing time and any general concerns.
- Receive all complaints of violations of the coaches, parents or players Code of Conduct related and investigate all such complaints. The Player Agent will submit a written report of his / her findings to the President.
Equipment / Uniform Director The Equipment / Uniform Director will:
- Be responsible for the care and maintenance of all equipment, including goals, goalie equipment, throw-backs, coachs' bags, game uniforms, balls, timers, scoreboards and all other such equipment necessary for lacrosse. He or she shall operate within the amount appropriated in the approved budget for that purpose.
- Be responsible for the proper issuance of such supplies and equipment and for the repair, cleaning and storage thereof at the close of the season.
- Be responsible for the purchase of all new equipment as necessary.
- Issue all necessary equipment to each team by way of an outfitted coachs' bag.
- Be responsible for the distribution of all uniforms to all players within the league, as well as ensure the collection of all such uniforms at the conclusion of each season.
Field Director The Field Director will:
- Be responsible for the care and maintenance of the playing fields(s), buildings and grounds. He or she shall operate within the amount appropriated in the approved budget for that purpose.
- Investigate and recommend available suitable sites and plans for development including ways and means, the latter in cooperation with the Finance Committee.
- Be responsible for repair and improvement recommendations and supervise the performance of approved projects.
- Secure bids on needed supplies and equipment to maintain the field and make recommendations for their purchase to the Board.
- Ensure all game fields are properly lined on a weekly basis during the season of play.
- Secure appropriate insurance on said property and buildings of WGL.
Fundraising Director The Fundraising Director will:
- Oversee and manage all Fundraising activities of WGL.
- Prepare an annual plan of proposed fundraising activities.
- Direct all fundraising events to ensure success.
Article VIII - Other Committees
Finance Committee. The Board may appoint a finance committee consisting of not less than three (3) nor more than five (5) Directors and other appointed Members.
The Treasurer shall be the Chairperson of the committee.
The committee shall investigate ways and means of financing WGL including annual registration fees and team sponsorships and submit such recommendations to the Board for approval.
It shall be responsible for taking up collections at games: if such collections are authorized by WGL and shall turn over said collections to the Treasurer immediately after each game.
Equipment and Grounds Committee. The Board may appoint an Equipment & Grounds committee consisting of not less than two (2) nor more than four (4) Directors and other appointed Members.
The Equipment / Uniform Director and the Field Director shall be the co-Chairpersons of the committee.
The committee shall participate in the preparation of the game field and care and administration of WGL’s equipment.
Fundraising Committee. The Board may appoint a Fundraising committee consisting of not less than two (2) nor more than four (4) Directors and other appointed Members.
The Fundraising Director shall be the Chairperson of the committee.
The committee shall coordinate and direct all fundraising activities of WGL as approved by the Board.
Coaches Committee. The Board may appoint a Head Coaches Committee consisting of three (3) Directors.
The Committee may interview and investigate prospective Head Coaches and Coaches, and recommend acceptable candidates to the President, for appointment and subsequent approval by the Board.
It shall, during the playing season, observe the conduct of the Head Coaches and coaches and report it’s findings to the President of WGL.
It shall, at the request of the President or Board, investigate complaints concerning Head Coaches and coaches and make a report thereof to the President or Directors as the case may be.
Referee Committee. The Board may appoint a Referee Committee consisting of Directors and other appointed Members. WGL Vice President shall be Chairperson of any such Committee.
The Committee shall recruit, interview and recommend to the Board for appointment a staff of Referees, including a Head Referee and replacements.
Auditing Committee. The Board may appoint an Auditing Committee consisting of three (3) Directors and other appointed Members. The President, Treasurer or signatories of checks are not eligible.
The Committee will audit WGL's books and records annually prior to the annual meeting and attach a statement of their findings to the annual financial statement of the President and Treasurer; or may, if directed, by the Board, secure the services of a Certified Public Accountant to accomplish such audit.
Article IX - Head Coaches, Coaches and Referees.
Head Coaches and Coaches shall be appointed annually by the Board. Head Coaches shall be responsible for the draft of their teams and for their actions on the field. All Head Coaches and Coaches shall abide by WGL’s Coaches Code of Conduct and sign a statement attesting to such. All Head Coaches and Coaches will submit to a background check.
All Coaches shall acknowledge that WGL is an entitlement league and as such all players who have paid their requisite registration fee will be entitled to play in each game of at least the minimum number of minutes as specified in Article XIII, Section 2.
Head Coaches shall be responsible for ensuring all players on their respective teams attain the required playing time in each game. In any game where it is determined by the Board that a player has not played in his minimum time, the Head Coach will be subject to disciplinary action as set forth in Article X, Section 1.
The Head Coach shall appoint the team scorer and time keeper for each home game.
Referees. Referees shall be appointed annually by Mid Hudson Lacrosse local chapter.
While holding such office, the President is permitted to be a Head Coach or coach without obtaining a waiver. The President should not referee. All Board members are permitted to be a Head Coach or Coach.
Article X - Suspension or Termination
Membership may be terminated by resignation or action of the Board.
- The Board, by a two-thirds vote of those Board members present at any duly constituted Board meeting, shall have the authority to discipline or suspend or terminate the membership of any member of any class, Head Coach, Coach or Parent / Guardian when the conduct of such person is considered detrimental to the best interest of WGL and/or US Lacrosse.
The individual involved shall be notified of such meeting, informed of the general nature of the charges and be given an opportunity to appear at the meeting to answer such charges.
- The Board shall, in case of a Player Member, give notice to the Head Coach of the team of which the player is a member. Said head coach shall appear, in the capacity of an adviser, with the player and the player’s parents or guardians before a duly appointed committee of the Board. The committee will report their findings and make a recommendation to the Board. The Board will make their determination on the player status. Any player thrown out of a game by a referee will receive an automatic one (1) game suspension (Next Game). Any repeat offender of WGL Bylaws will be subject to a longer suspension, up to and including a full season suspension.
- A suspension, referred to anywhere in these Bylaws, shall be defined as not being permitted to attend any practices or games during the suspension and have no contact with the coaches or players during practice or game time.
- The Board shall, in the case of a Head Coach or Coach, give notice to any such Head Coach or Coach that a violation of the Coaches Code of Conduct or WGL’s Bylaws has occurred. The notified Coach will be asked to appear before a duly appointed committee of the Board. The committee will report their findings and make a recommendation to the Board. This recommendation may include a warning or a suspension, the length of which could range from one (1) game up to and including a full season suspension. Any Coach thrown out of a game by a referee will receive an automatic one (1) game suspension (Next Game).
- The Board of Directors shall, in the case of a parent or guardian, give notice to any such parent or guardian that a violation of the Parents Code of Conduct or WGL’s By-Laws has occurred. The notified parent or guardian will be asked to appear before a duly appointed committee of the Board. The committee will report their findings and make a recommendation to the Board. This recommendation may include a warning or a suspension, the length of which could range from one (1) game up to and including a full season suspension. Any parent or guardian thrown out of a game by a referee will receive an automatic one (1) game suspension (Next Game).
- The removal of a Board member (outside of a normal election) should never be taken lightly and always used as a last resort for a serious violation and not trivial or personal reasons. Such a decision must be handled with absolute transparency and professionalism.
Upon the decision of the Board to take such an action against a Director, the President or the President's designee, shall notify the Director in writing of the Board's pending decision and reason for a potential removal. The Director subject to potential removal will be given an opportunity to meet with the Board to discuss the reason(s) for potential removal. The Director will be given the option to resign. After such discussion, the Board will meet and then inform the Director of their decision. The Secretary shall keep records of such actions by the Board. The Board may use or refer to such records to settle future, similar incidents.
Article XI - Affiliation
Charter. US Lacrosse. Hudson Valley Lacrosse chapter and Mid Hudson Lacrosse local chapter.
Rules and Regulations. The Official Playing Rules and Regulations are provided by the US Lacrosse and shall be binding.
Article XII - Financial and Accounting
The President must approve all purchases for WGL of Five Hundred ($500) Dollars or more and must provide his written approval for such purchases.
The Board shall decide all matters pertaining to the finances of WGL and it shall place all income in a common league treasury, directing expenditure of same in such manner as will give no individual or team an advantage over those in competition with such individual or team.
The Board shall not permit the contribution of funds or property to individual teams but shall solicit some for the common treasury of WGL, thereby to discourage favoritism among teams and to endeavor to equalize the benefits.
The Board shall not permit the distribution of WGL funds for other than the conduct of Youth Lacrosse activities.
No Director or member of WGL shall receive, directly or indirectly, any salary, compensation or emolument from WGL for services rendered as Director or Member.
All monies received shall be deposited to the credit of WGL in the bank designated by the Board and all disbursement shall be made by check. All checks shall be signed by the WGL Treasurer or President.
The fiscal year of WGL shall begin on the first day of October and shall end on the last day of September.
Distribution of Property Upon Dissolution. Upon dissolution of WGL and after all outstanding debts and claims have been satisfied, the Board shall direct the remaining property of WGL to another non-profit entity which maintains the same objectives as set forth herein, which are or may be entitled to exemption under Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or any future corresponding provision.
Article XIII - Special Regulations
Girls shall be required to wear protective goggles and a mouthpiece.
- Uniforms. A bond check will be collected at the time game uniforms are distributed to ensure all uniforms will be returned at the end of the season in good condition.
Player Game Participation. Each player in attendance and eligible to play must participate for a minimum number of minutes, as follows:
If the number of players present to start the game is 20 or more, each player will play at least 8 minutes.
If number of players present to start the game is less than 20, each player will play at least 10 minutes.
This is based on a game of four 8-minute quarters of stopped time.
Parent / Guardian Conduct and Participation
All parents and guardians are encouraged to be involved in their son’s or daughter’s endeavors with WGL. Each parent or guardian will sign the Parent’s Code of Conduct before their child is permitted to participate in WGL. In any event where it is determined by the Board that a parent or guardian has violated this Code of Conduct, the Board may, at its sole discretion, impose a suspension upon the parent or guardian as defined in Article X, Section 1.
Local Rules. Local rules will be adopted by the Board at least fifteen (15) days prior to the first scheduled game of the season.
League Functions. All league functions will be approved by the Board and will be covered by the league's insurance. All functions not approved by the Board will not be the responsibility of WGL. Therefore, any such events need additional coverage not provided by the league.